Thursday, March 1, 2012

The ax has fallen...right on my head

This year isn't starting out too well for me you guys.  I must have really pissed somebody off to get this karma coming back to bite me in the ass.

As you all know, back in December I became very ill and spent 6 days in the hospital.  I then was out of work another 4 weeks or so recuperating until the doctor released me on Monday, January 16th to come back to work.

I started back on Tuesday, January 17th and it has been balls-to-the-wall busy since I got back.  Thursday the 19th we had a big meeting with management.  See, I work in a manufacturing facility and slowly our business has been going outside the US - just like all other manufacturing jobs in this country.  It was announced that a large part of our business was being moved out of the country and that a large portion of the jobs at my facility would be affected.  I was called into my manager's office and, surprise surprise.....my job is being eliminated.  My last day is September 28th. 

To be honest, I wasn't all that surprised or upset really.  I will have been here over 10 years when I leave so I will be sad to go, but I'm looking at it as an opportunity instead of a setback.  Of course it's scary...I hate job hunting and interviewing, and updating my resume but the last time I was laid off I found this job - and it lasted this past 10 years where I learned a lot!

Believe it or not, I am looking forward to the next chapter.  I do hope I can find a new job quickly, of course but more importantly the right one for me.  Change is a terrifying thing, I'm not going to lie to you.   I can't control that this change is coming, however and I have no choice but to face it - head on.

3 comments:

Fox in the City said...

Job loss is hard. We went through this in June when my husband was laid-off. Hugs to you and sending positive vibes that the job hunt will not be a long one.
Jenn

Karen said...

I do have awhile to plan, which I look at as a blessing. I have been doing some preliminary looking in my field and it does look pretty good for me thus far, so if it keeps up until September I may be in good shape!

Suz and Allan said...

I'm sorry to hear about your job. I hope you are able to find something else that you will love soon!