Wednesday, June 22, 2011

There is always time for kindness

I found myself in a strange mood today, I'm not sure what came over me.  I normally don't write about subjects like this because I don't want people to feel like I'm preaching at them, but just stick with me will ya?

 The last couple of days, I've kinda felt like crap...had a migraine and just felt yucky.  Today I had to run an errand for Alan, he wanted me to pick up a cheesecake for someone's birthday at his work and bring it up there during my lunch hour.  Now I didn't have much time, so I had to haul ass.  I went to the Harris Teeter near my work, they did not have shit, so I had to go to another Harris Teeter which put me even further behind on my time.  I was hurrying into the store, starting to walk past this car that was parked in front of the door when I saw this old lady trying to get out of the passenger side.  She was having some difficulty getting out of the car, although she was trying her best.  Something in me made me stop.  I walked over to her and offered my hand and helped her get out of the car.  She looked up at me surprised, but just smiled from ear to ear and thanked me for helping her.  The driver had gotten out of the car to assist her also and she thanked me also, I told them both "You're welcome" and went on about my way into the store to do what I needed to do.

Now, I'm not telling you this story so you can tell me how sweet that was or how kind I am - please don't.  It was a random act of kindness, and normally I wouldn't tell anyone I even did it.  I tell you this to demonstrate that it only takes a moment of your time, even when you're in a rush, pushed for time, stressed out, pissed off, sick, whatever....to do someone else in this world a kindness.  So many of us have tunnel-vision (myself included) that we don't always see or want to see when someone might need our help.  

So many of us have become so jaded, thinking "well nobody ever helps me, why should I reach out and help anybody else?"  That's not the point!  You don't give to get something back.  That is being selfish.  We're not in this world to live in our own separate bubbles.  We interact with each other, why should we not help each other up when one of us falls? 

Anyway, that is my two cents.  Sorry if this is too soap boxy for ya, it's my blog...I can write what I want so there!  HAHA!  (LOL!)  In all seriousness, I just felt like I needed to get this out, it's just something I needed to write about today.  Thanks for humoring me.

5 comments:

Fox in the City said...

Tough shit, I am going to tell you how sweet that was . . . because it was sweet.

You are so right. Life is busy and I often get so wrapped up in my own stuff that I don't take the time to see the world around me. Today I shall make the effort to see what all is going around me . . . no matter how busy I am!

Great post.
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Last night I was thinking the same thing, about how whatever you feel like you're not getting in your life, you need to start giving to other people so it will come back to you. Wait, did that make sense? Anyway, I'm glad you posted it and it was something everyone should do, but we often don't. Love it.

Lady Estrogen said...

It was very sweet of you.
Yay, you!
That's a lot less messy than my picking up someone else's dog crap.

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

I think these kinds of actions grow 10 fold. People are nice to someone else, that person is in turn nice to someone else. I love that you did this, most people would not. And I know this isn't technically karma, but I like to think it kind of works that way :)

Megan said...

Fine, I won't tell you that what you did was sweet.....but I will tell you that I'm glad you posted it! Hopefully it'll be just the little note that someone needs to remind them to slow down a bit and share some kindness.

Hope your day is WONDERFUL!

And don't forget to enter the giveaways on my blog this week!